31 March 2009

Barefoot and pregnant

I just read this appalling article online: Women's Right to Vote, the Beginning or the End of America? The person who wrote it actually had the audacity to claim that women shouldn't vote, because they are too emotional to really know what they're doing. And by giving women the right to vote, America is heading on a downward spiral of doom.
Well, I was so stricken by the hell-hole that is this article, that I posted what I considered to be a logically-based argument against his misguided theory. Make sure to read the article before reading my response, otherwise you might not understand:

Dear Writer,

I'm not going to assume your education level, religion, even your gender - I'm just going to speak to you as a person. Your claim that men are ruled by logic and women are ruled by emotion is weak, misguided and completely ridiculous, both scientifically and philosophically.
You do realize that every motivation, regardless of any physical characteristic, including gender, comes from a personal, subjective standpoint ... which is, guess what, emotional. It is impossible for anybody to be completely logical, because logic implies a complete lack of meaning, response or personal interest.
And before you claim that those are "women's words," those ideas are philosophical findings that were introduced by men far before women had any rights apart from their fathers or husbands. These philosophical concepts were reinforced by scientific research into the brain that was introduced, again by men, in the mid 19th century.
In addition, the idea of the word "emotion" (and all that's attributed to it) is merely an umbrella term for any physiological response that the brain provides in order to assist in a reaction to outside stimuli. That's the very definition of logical thought: see, process, respond.
So in retrospect, are emotions logical or are logistics emotional?
Maybe you should do a little more research before ranting about something you don't understand.

Signed,
Anonymous
p.s. I suppose you feel like slavery should still exist, too.

16 comments:

  1. Awesome response! Would love to see how he responds to that. My only question is why you signed it as Anonymous. You gave a wonderful, intelligent, fair, and rounded argument. Let this person engage you back. Worst thing that comes of it, you get a nasty e-mail from a crazy misanthrope.

    Also, it's pretty scary that a lot of the comments to that post agree with it! What the wha?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were tearing this apartment on jezebel the other day. Truly apalling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. there are no words. I think I am still in shock. Maybe if I wasn't such an emotional being, I could really articulate how I'm feeling, ahem thinking, about this "OneVike" character.

    I did enjoy the comments, even though most of them seem to agree. I always find it interesting to see how dense people can be.

    Also check this out, I did some googling on Mr. OneVike: http://www.freerepublic.com/~onevike/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm at a loss of words. Literally. That is the most absurd argument I have ever read. Not to mention all the comments and WOMEN agreeing with that bastard. Oh, wait. Excuse me. I'm becoming emotional. I guess I should stop writing now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bridget: Thanks for the note!
    I normally don't use 'Anonymous,' but I didn't want to give any of my personal information on that site because of all the fanatical support mail it had received. Last thing I want is someone looking me up and sending me hate mail. I'm a privacy freak :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great response! I would love to see how he responds to your argument!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Beth, I think you put together a very strong response. Sadly, some people are just too close minded to listen to others thoughts. His 'logic' blinds him from reason. I'm a somewhat conservative republican and even I can see he's batty. And anyone who goes on about how amazing Ronald Reagan was, should at least know how to spell his name. Clearly you're just dealing with an idiot who was looking for attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Response. I can't believe how many people supported his article. Thanks for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow, that article rubbed me wrong in so many ways. Your response back is and excellent counter point. Like they're really going to sit there and blame America's failure on the "emotional" aspect of women?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Egh. I read that article and it gave me the heebie jeebies. I also liked how a commenter mentioned how Sarah Palin was one of the only women worth making it in a "man's world" please, shoot me in the face if that woman is the ambassador of our gender.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Besides everything which has been said before my comment, I just can't believe there are people calling Obama a marxist! Do they know what marxism is???
    Is this 2009? Seriously?

    Keeps me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am I the only one that noticed the author's insinuation that WWII had something to do with women's right to vote?

    Great response! I wonder what he would have said is Clinton had gone on to become the president?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a douche bag. That is all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another ironic thing is that this person probably didn't even realize that what they wrote was mostly driven by emotion as well, and not logic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone has blind spots in their thinking, and it takes someone, like you, to open their eyes to preconcieved notions that they took for absolute truth without looking to why they think such a thought so absolutely. Nicely articulated. :)

    ReplyDelete