13 February 2009

Avant-green

So I have some pretty exciting news.

I'm currently taking a Special Events Management course at MPC, to help improve my skills set. I've always had a knack for planning fun, unique events - but the logistics always seem to fall through the cracks in one way or another.

Anyway, this specific semester is unique because, for the first time, the class is actually planning a real event. Apparently they usually divide everybody up in groups of 4 and have them plan fake events. Not this year. This year they've decided to do something real.

And guess whose event proposal they chose?

Well, if you couldn't guess by the over-the-top exhuberantly exhilerated tone (which I completely had, by the way), it was mine :). I proposed a fashion showing prioritizing sustainable resources, like organic, bio-sustainable and resale clothing. But it's not just any fashion show, with the runway and cheesy music. We're going to do a living mannequin display. We're getting a series of models to pose as living mannequins for the evening - we're dressing them in lavish clothing, fabulous makeup and crazy hair. We're also going to have green vendors, food and (hopefully) beer and wine. The event is called "Avant-green." I randomly came up with the name at the end of class last week and the teacher really loved it. She thought it was very unique and got the message across.

We're planning on making it a benefit for the Women's Services Department, which provides bus passes and donated work clothing for in-need working professionals.

Right now me and the other girls in charge of the Fashion Show part of the event are working to get donations from local organic and resale stores, as well as art and fashion students from local colleges. If anyone is interested in participating, please let me know. We're always looking for up-and-coming designers, and we're also on the lookout for models as well.

I'm so excited! I feel really positive right now, and excited at seeing this vision come into reality.

Just to let you know, the event is Tuesday, March 24 from 6-9pm. I really hope that all of you can make it, because I'd love to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment