10 February 2009

Damn this blood condition


So lately I've been obsessively listening to the Repo! the Genetic Opera soundtrack. Well, some of it. I must admit that some of the songs are pretty horrendous. What else can you expect from a modern-day rock opera where there's no spoken dialogue and everybody is basically talking about guts, genes and surgery? Not to mention the whole "Paris Hilton is in the movie" thing, which I still think was a bad choice. I mean, given all that, some of the tunes are gonna be duds.

However, the songs that are good are really good. My favorite is 'Legal Assassin,' sung by the father/repo man. The repo man is played by the guy who was Giles on Buffy (just in case you ever watched the show) and, man, does he have a set of pipes! He reminds me of my dad. A very strong, powerful yet surprisingly tender voice. Another couple of good songs are 'Infected' and 'Genetic Emancipation,' both sung by the girl who was (formerly) the young girl in the Spy Kids series. Man, what a couple years and some black bondage tape will do to you! A couple other good songs are 'Mark It Up,' for its sheer grossness factor and haunting circus-like accompaniment, and 'Zydrate Anatomy,' which is just a damn fun song to listen to.

I'm really dying (ha-ha) to see this movie, but I've been told that it's really, really over-the-top gross-out gory. And since I have a bit of a tendency to, well, pass out during violent movies, I'm not sure if watching this particular film is really worth it at this point. I mean, do I really want to spend two hours with my eyes closed trying to sneak peeks of the Armageddon-like landscape and gothic/industrial costumes in between the moments of dead human puppets, grotesque surgery and bodily impalements?! I'm not sure.

Maybe I should find someone to suffer through it for me before I check it out. Any volunteers?

No comments:

Post a Comment